Stephen Su, General Director of IEK, was invited to share “Sensing and Sensibility for Smart City with Intelligent Transportation” at the SEMICON Taiwan 2016 MEMS Forum with the theme as “Sensing Systems for Smart Living.” In this presentation, Stephen talked about the title of the presentation was inspired by Jane Austen’s famous novel “Sense and Sensibility” written in 1811. It was made into a movie by Lee Ang from Taiwan in 1995. Similar to the novel characters who are divided between being rational vs. going with the heart and feeling, Stephen stated that “sensing” for Smart City or Smart Life will have a lot of market opportunities, but most importantly higher value-add would only come from providing the right products and services tendering to the needs of people, which is equivalent to the meaning of “sensibility.”
During his presentation, he delivered a few key messages:
- Most of presented use cases deliver true values to fulfill citizen’s unmet needs, either for time and energy savings or emission and carbon reductions.
- Olli powered by IBM’s Watson, further demonstrates an ideal interactive experience for passengers with autonomous vehicle taking advantage of advanced sensors and AI capability to explore more values to customers.
- Emerging projects and pilots in a large number of cities of intelligent transportation, such as traffic management and parking system and self-driving vehicle, will bring about new market opportunities for sensor vendors.
- Policy & Legislation, Autonomous Vehicle/ICT Innovation, and New Service Model are driving forces to a rapid growth of intelligent transportation and new sensing solution markets.
- Multi-sensor fusion with AI capability is key for sensor vendors to sustain competitive advantage.
- Sensing, Understanding, Action as 3 key requirements for autonomous vehicle.§Sensor industry and vendors should partner with SI and service providers for value-add to end users/customers while developing new sensor technology and product.
- Mega trends of smart city and intelligent transportation
- Use cases of smart city with intelligent transportation
- Sensor’s roles and technology trends in intelligent transportation